George Miller

George Merle Miller, Q.C. was born on June 30, 1890 and moved with his family to New Liskeard when he was 14 years of age.  With ambitions of becoming a lawyer, he entered Osgoode Hall in 1908.  He was enrolled as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Ontario and called with Honours to the Degree of Barrister-at-Law.  Miller was admitted to practice at the Bar of his Majesty’s Courts in Ontario by the Benchers of the Law Society of Upper Canada in 1913.  On June 13th of that year he moved to Sudbury where he began his practice along with R.R. McKessock.  Mr. McKessock was the local Crown Attorney and as well, a practicing Barrister and Solicitor.  Some seven years later, George went on his own to specialize in criminal law.

George Miller also had a taste for politics and found himself elected to Sudbury Town Council in 1926.  He chaired the Property Committee introducing a number of changes leading to greater efficiency in civic administration.  He was made King's Council in 1931 and he began to bring partners into his firm. The first was K.E. Maki Q.C., followed by W.A. Inch and D.H. Mulligan.  George Miller was the chair of the W.E. Mason Foundation.  W.E. Mason died in 1948.

George Miller was also a member of the first Board of Regents of Sudbury's first university, The University of Sudbury, in 1958.

It was back in 1951 George became a part owner and president of the Sudbury Star newspaper.  Now bitten by the media bug, Mr. Miller would turn his sights to television, which of course was just in its infancy.  The CBC Board of Governors approved an application by CKSO Sudbury Limited in March 1953.  The approval was pivotal as Sudbury would be introduced to a whole new means of entertainment and advertising.

It would come to be then that the first privately owned television station in Canada would be founded by the partnership of George Miller, W.B. Plaunt and Judge J.M. Cooper. George served as the company's president.

Miller had been doing his homework on the new television industry researching its functionality in the United States, even while there were those who tried to discourage him by warning of its very risky nature.  George was convinced that if they were going to do it, they wanted to be first.

George and his partners would prove the naysayers wrong and set not only a precedent for launching the first privately owned television station in Canada, but eventually for being the first to broadcast in colour.

When launched the first studio was located on Ash Street.  The studio was packed with people, singers and an orchestra when the first television show was broadcast.  That was October 20, 1953.  Colour broadcasting would come in 1966.

George Miller passed away on September 25, 1977.