The Significance Of Copper

The Significance Of Copper
Late in 1945 plans were in the works for a new 5,000 watt transmitter.  Mr. W.E. Mason proudly announced the contract for this new installation had been awarded.  The ground system, some ten miles of Number 10 copper wiring, carefully arranged in such a pattern, buried six inches below surface had been completed.  The underground network of copper wiring serves as a ground reflector for the antenna system to propagate the radio waves.  The site would include three new towers.

Reference to this copper network was noted in the September 1946 edition of the INCO Triangle, a widely distributed monthly magazine for INCO staff and employees.  The article titled, "Maybe You Did It", lightly took and shared credit for the copper used in the system.  From the official sod-turning event on December 12, 1945 with Sudbury Mayor W.S. Beaton on hand to the completion of the site which included a Marconi transmitter and three new 325-foot towers, CKSO Radio earned bragging rights for operating the first 5 KW transmitter in Northern Ontario.  With great fanfare the site was officially opened on August 19, 1946.